Castleford Lock Lane Rugby League and Sports Centre
Blazes Renewables were invited to prepare a proposal to convert the entire stock of traditional lighting to LED.
The most challenging aspect of this was the Sports Hall which is used for a wide variety of sporting and exercising activities. The hall was illuminated by 27 fittings of 250 Watt Metal Halide fittings. The problems identified included:-
- High cost of energy
- Inability to switch on and off due to strike up rate delay of Metal Halide lamps
- High cost of access equipment required to make lamp changes
- Poor lighting levels
- Damage to lamp fittings from footballs etc.
The solution was to replace the existing lamps with the Blazes VERSO High Bay 150 Watt LED Lamp.
- LUX Levels increased from sub 300 to plus 500.
- Cast body and solid glass lens totally immune from stray balls.
- Ability to switch on and off between sessions if only for short periods of time.
- Long life of LED means total reduction of maintenance costs.
The annual cost of operating the existing lighting system was £4,955
After the switch to LED the annual cost reduced to £1,761
Annual savings made by switching to LED are £3,194 / 62%
Total savings over the lifetime of the LED will be £18,711
Annual Carbon Savings 14 Tonnes
Annual Return on Investment is 42%
No of years to achieve Payback on Investment is 1.3 Years